Luse's Systems Design Project
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The business name, location, and purpose

2 posters

Go down

The business name, location, and purpose Empty The business name, location, and purpose

Post  amanda Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:32 am

Ok our name is Palmetto Fitness Center. Out location is somewhere in SC. I was thinking out purpose would be something like to educate people about our location, prices, and programs available.
There can be more but I thought this would be a nice start.

amanda

Back to top Go down

The business name, location, and purpose Empty Re: The business name, location, and purpose

Post  sorrell Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:03 pm

I think what he wants for business purpose is more like; What is our reason for opening the gym? Why are we providing our service to people? How are we improving our community?

I think the business purpose would be very similar to the mission statement. Only, the mission statement is the public expression of the purpose.

Let's look at Gold's Gym's Mission Statement:

GOAL AND MISSION STATEMENT

Our Mission is to provide an educational, motivating , and enthusiastic atmosphere for every body committed to improving or maintaining their quality of life. We will accomplish this by utilizing the rich history of serious fitness that Gold's has established since 1965 and the growing family of over 500 Gold's Gyms around the world. We will instill in our members our passion for health and fitness, and the Gold's Gym philosophies.

I think our purpose and mission statement would be pretty similar to Gold's Gym.

I read an article just now that may shed a bit of light on this: http://www.business.ualberta.ca/rfield/PurposeofBusiness.htm

(Quoting the article linked above) "On a larger scale, think of organizations like museums, schools, or hospitals. People start these to provide a service that is needed. In the past when land was settled these services had to be provided. People created schools to educate their children, built hospitals to care for their sick, and founded museums to learn about and understand their past and the wider world. Now that corporations are so powerful in the world, it's hard to imagine people coming together to build what was needed. But that's why it was done and is still done in some cases. Yes, we now have for-profit museums, schools, and hospitals. But those are latter-day variants of the initial forms. There is still the underlying purpose of providing a good or a service to the population.

One problem that can come about in the running of those for-profit forms is that management can lose sight of the fact that service provision is the reason for being. If a for-profit organization, like a hospital, is a public corporation, then its ownership is divided into shares. These shares, or pieces of the company, are traded publicly in a stock market. Management of the organization may say, and worse yet may even believe, that their purpose is to increase the stock's value. After all, that is what management does. But they are wrong. An increase in a stock's value is the result of good management, not the objective. Management's job is to increase efficiency and effectiveness, and sometimes to even decide what business to be in. It is to further the objectives of those who set up the organization. And those objectives are to provide goods and services to the population. To add value. To take in resources from the community and to use them to make the community better. When this vision is lost then we lose sight of why we work, why we exist."

For our location, let's just say Myrtle Beach or something. Let me know if you'd like any help brainstorming our purpose, or anything else for that matter.
sorrell
sorrell
Admin

https://systemdesign.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The business name, location, and purpose Empty Re: The business name, location, and purpose

Post  amanda Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:51 pm

Hey yeah I could definitley use some help. I am not really sure what he wants. What you said makes great since.

amanda

Back to top Go down

Post  sorrell Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:15 pm

Something along the lines of

*maintaining a positive environment that promotes a healthy lifestyle among our members.
*providing our services at a reasonable price
*going above and beyond the expectations of our members and community

Stuff like that. I'll try to think of some more stuff later, but I have to get to studying for these tests right now.
sorrell
sorrell
Admin

https://systemdesign.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  amanda Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:16 pm

OK thanks for the the tips. I will try to come up with something and post it back up here soon.

amanda

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down